Home Energy Scheme

Ratepayers can apply through the Home Energy Scheme for a loan to fund the installation of insulation or heating products in their home. 

You can apply for a loan either towards insulation or heating, but not both. If you would like to apply for funding for heating your home must be fully insulated.

Warmer Kiwi Homes

Warmer Kiwi Homes provides grants towards the installation of insulation and heating through EECA (Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority). You may be able to use a combination of a grant from EECA and a loan through the Home Energy Scheme to pay for your insulation or home energy products. To find out more about Warmer Kiwi Homes and to see if you are eligible click on the link below. 

Who can apply for the Home Energy Scheme?

You can apply if:

  1. You are a ratepayer in the New Plymouth area.
  2. You are up to date with your rates (no arrears).
  3. You pay your rates by direct debit.
  4. You do not have an existing VTR (Voluntary Targeted Rate) on the property. 
  5. Your home was built before 2000 (for insulation).
  6. Your property is insulated and you want to apply for assistance with clean heat products, solar water heating or heat-pump water heating.

How the Home Energy Scheme Works

Ratepayers can apply for:

  • a loan of up to $5,000 (including GST) to install clean heat products, solar and heat pump water heating in your home or
  • a loan for up to $2,600 (including GST) for the installation of insulation.

Loan repayment

The loan is repaid through your rates, via a Voluntary Targeted Rate (VTR), with interest over a nine year period. The interest rate is seven per cent per annum and subject to change annually. You will be notified of any change. The increase in your rates will start at 1 July, which is the beginning of the rating year.

If you sell your property before the end of the loan period you will need to repay the remainder of the loan unless it is agreed with the purchaser that they will take over the loan. 

The table below gives you an idea of how much you would pay back depending on how much you apply for (figures are indicative only).

Financial Assistance $5,000 $2,600 $2,000 $1,000
Cost per rate payment (monthly) $63.95 $34.42 $26.48 $13.24
Per annum cost $767.44 $413.03 $317.72 $158.86
Nine year total $6,906.98 $3,717.27 $2,859.48 $1,429.74

Early repayment

You can pay off your loan early in full. We can provide you with total amount that you owe at any time. If you would like to request a settlement amount please contact us. We do not accept lump sum payments towards the amount owing.

Eligible products and services

A Voluntary Targeted Rate (VTR) may be available for a range of services and products. You can find out more information from EECA's Energy Wise website.

How to apply

First, get in touch with a Council-approved installer.

The installer will assess your home free of charge and provide options to fit insulation, clean energy or water heating products. You may wish to get more than one quote.

They will outline the funding options available to you, either through EECA, your bank or our Home Energy Scheme.

If you select our Home Energy Scheme you will need to complete and sign the application form, agreement and checklist, and provide the required additional information (e.g. quotes, product specification, fees etc).

What happens next?

  1. If you choose to apply for financial assistance via our VTR scheme, complete and return the signed application form and agreement with the checklist. Please also provide all required additional information and documentation such as the service provider’s quote, the product specification (not required for insulation) and the $200 administration fee.
  2. If your rates are up to date and you meet all other eligibility criteria, we will approve your application and confirm the amount that will be added to your rates.
  3. For solar water heating or a woodfire, you are required to apply for a building consent
  4. You can then advise your service provider that the works can be undertaken.
  5. Proof of the completion of works will be required from the service provider. In the case of the installation of clean heat products, solar and heat pump water heating, and other installations which require electrical works the installations must be undertaken by a registered electrician.
  6. Following the installation of solar water heating or a woodfire, there will be an inspection from us as part of the building consent process.
  7. When your installation is completed the service provider invoices EECA (where an EECA grant is available) and us. We will both pay our agreed contributions to the service provider. You will be responsible for the payment of any outstanding amount to the service provider.
  8. We will add your additional rating increase to your property’s Land Information Memorandum (LIM).