Remissions, reductions, refunds and objections
The Council may decide to allow remissions for particular community infrastructure works, such as that undertaken by schools, charitable organisations or trusts. Each application for a remission will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Requests for reconsideration are determined by us and must be lodged within 10 working days from the issue of your development contribution notice. This does not incur any costs and may be lodged if you believe that:
• The development contribution was incorrectly calculated or assessed under the Council’s Development and Financial Contributions Policy; or
• The Council incorrectly applied its Development and Financial Contributions Policy; or
• The information used to assess your development against the Development and Financial Contributions Policy, or the way the Council has recorded or used it when requiring a development contribution, was incomplete or contained errors.
We will notify you of the reconsideration outcome within 15 working days of the receipt of all required information. If you are unhappy with the result you may lodge an objection.
Objections are determined by a government-appointed commissioner and must be lodged with us within 15 working days from the issue of your development contributions notice, or the notice of the reconsideration outcome. You will need to cover the costs for the objection process.
Objections may only be made on the grounds that the Council has:
- Failed to properly take into account features of the development that, on their own or cumulatively with those of other developments, would substantially reduce the impact of the development on requirements for community facilities in the New Plymouth district or parts of the district; or
- Required a development contribution for community facilities not required by, or related to, your development, whether on its own or cumulatively with other developments; or
- Required a development contribution in breach of section 200 of the Local Government Act 2002; or
- Incorrect applied its Development and Financial Contributions Policy to your development.