Four state highways run through New Plymouth District – SH3, SH3A, SH44 and SH45. In general, state highways fall under the responsibility of New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA). However, we are responsible for managing the following state highway issues:
- All street lights (with costs recovered from NZTA).
- All footpaths.
- Road and street nameplates (e.g. Vivian Street).
- Highway named signs (e.g. Mountain Road).
- Kiosk signs (e.g. community notice signs at rest areas).
- Parking, bus stop and taxi signs.
- Heritage trail signs.
- Street cleaning (with costs recovered from NZTA).
- Traffic signals (with costs recovered from NZTA).
- Planting on roundabouts, central islands and raised medians.
- SH3 Paynters Avenue on-ramps management.
- Maintenance of service covers.
- Vehicle crossings on urban state highways.
- Northgate - from Hobson Street to the traffic signals at Fitzroy (where Devon Street East joins Devon Road adjacent to the Waiwhakaiho Netball Park).
- Devon Road - from the netball park, east out of the city towards Bell Block and beyond.
- Leach Street - from Hobson Street to Eliot Street.
- Courtenay Street - eastbound from Eliot Street to Hobson Street.
- Eliot Street - from Pendarves Street to Courtenay Street.
- Coronation Avenue - from Pendarves Street to Cumberland Street.
- Junction Road - from Cumberland Street towards Inglewood and beyond.
- Link from SH3 near Brixton to SH3 at Inglewood.
- Eliot Street - from Courtenay Street to Molesworth Street.
- Molesworth Street - from Eliot Street to Liardet Street.
- St Aubyn Street - from Liardet Street to South Road.
- Breakwater Road - from South Road to the port.
- Leach Street - from Eliot Street to Liardet Street.
- Vivian Street - from Liardet Street to Morley Street.
- Morley Street - from Vivian Street to Devon Street West.
- Devon Street West - from Morley Street to South Road.
- South Road - west to Oakura and beyond.
- Powderham Street - from Morley Street to Liardet Street.
- Courtenay Street - from Liardet Street to Hobson Street.