Sanders Gate

Sanders Gate at the entrance to Pukekura Park. Sanders Gates were built in 1938 using money from a bequest from Charles Score Sanders, a friend of the Park who established Ngaere Gardens in Stratford.

Queen Elizabeth II Fountain

QEII fountain in Pukekura Park. Located in Fountain Lake, the 228-jet fountain with its 15-metre high floodlit plumes was installed in 1955 to commemorate the visit of Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. It is a key feature throughout the Festival of Lights with its breathtaking display against a backdrop of coloured lights. It may be operated by a nearby push button.


The waterwheel at Pukekura Park. Located near the Gilbert Street entrance and beside the children's playground, the waterwheel was originally recovered from the Omata Co-operative Dairy Factory and installed as a centennial project in 1976. It was replaced with this replica in 2005.

Mishima Torii Gate

Torii gate in the Mishima garden in Pukekura Park. Located at the top of the Japanese Hillside, the traditional torii gate was a gift from New Plymouth's Japanese sister city, Mishima in 2001.


The waterfall at Pukekura Park. The artificial waterfall is located between the Hatchery Lawn and the Main Lake. It represents the Waiwahakiho River in its passage from its turbulent beginnings on Mount Taranaki/Egmont. The waterfall comes to life at night with its colourful illuminated lights.

Band Rotunda

The Pukekura Park band rotunda. The band rotunda is one of the oldest such structures in the country and has long been a feature of the park with building completion in 1891. It is located at the base of Cannon Hill overlooking the Main Lake and next to the Jubilee drinking fountain.

Jubilee Drinking Fountain

The Jubilee drinking fountain at Pukekura Park. Close to the rotunda, the marble fountain was erected to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 and is still functional for the thirsty park visitors of today.

Poet's Bridge

Poet's Bridge in Pukekura Park. Poet's Bridge is located at the narrow point between the Main and Upper lake of Pukekura Park. It was opened in 1884 and served the park until deterioration caused it to be replaced just before the Second World War. Its colour scheme is based on the famous red lacquer bridge at Nikko, Japan.

Water Lily Lake and Aotearoa Sculpture

Michael Smither's sculpture Aotearoa at Pukekura Park. Located at the Bowl of Brooklands, Waterlily Lake was formed during the 1890s by damming a stream to form the lake which now features artist Michael Smither's sculpture, Aotearoa.

Brooklands Park Fireplace

The Brooklands Fireplace is the only surviving remnants of Captain Kings home that was burnt down during the Maori War of 1860. It is typical of those in English farmhouses of the 1840s with is huge open fireplace and massive iron bar with a smaller baking oven in the back wall.

The Gables Colonial Hospital

The Gables building at Brooklands Park. One of New Zealand's earliest surviving crown health enterprise, the Gables Colonial Hospital was built in 1847 and lived on Mangorei Road until 1907 when Mrs Mary King had the then derelict building moved to its current location at Brooklands. In 1985, it was extensively restored to become the Taranaki Arts Society gallery. It is popularly known as 'The Gables'.

Kunming Garden Moongate

Moongate at Kunming Garden in Brooklands Park. The Moongate at the entrance to Kunming Garden, is a circular opening in the garden wall that acts as a pedestrian passageway. The Moongate is a traditional architectural element in Chinese gardens. The materials for this structure were imported from China as part of the gift from New Plymouth's sister city, Kunming in 2005.

Kunming Garden Spring Wind Pavilion

The pavilion at Kunming Garden in Brooklands Park. The Spring Wind Pavilion sits in the middle of Kunming Garden. 12 Chinese craftsmen and 34 tonnes of timber, stone and carvings shipped over in two containers from Kunming City in China, created this beauty. The structure was made without powertools or using nails or screws.

Cannon Hill

Pukekura Park  main lake band rotundaCannon Hill was named for the two cannons that were displayed near the summit from 1884 to 1928. The so-called Dicky Barrett cannon is now part of the Puke Ariki collection. The first ceremonial tree plantings were made around the hill in 1876.