As part of our volunteer programme our enthusiastic volunteers provide valuable support for our zoo keepers. Volunteers are part of a fun volunteer team where they get to spend time with others who share their interests.
Volunteers can enhance our visitors' experiences by sharing their knowledge and passion for wildlife conservation.
Want to join the volunteer team?
- Are you physically fit enough to be on your feet for most of the day while working and understand that bending and lifting could also be part of the day?
- Can you be relied on to work independently?
- Are you over 16 years old and would definitely be able to commit to volunteering for a regular shift each week?
- Do have a flexible, can-do attitude and would you will be happy to pick up all those odd jobs that need doing around the zoo?
- Are you an all-weather type person and that is not fazed by a set routine each day you come in?
- Do you enjoy talking with people and would be happy to help visitors if they approach you while you are working around the Zoo?
If so then volunteering at the zoo could be just for you! Fill out the volunteer application form and we'll be in touch.
Typical volunteer activities include:
- Animal food preparation.
- Assisting keepers with cleaning of enclosures.
- Assisting keepers in walking/grazing some of the farm animals around Pukekura Park.
- Making environmental/behavioural enrichment items for the animals.
- Tending our vegetable garden where we grow food for the animals.
- Talking to the public about our animals.
- Assisting with small maintenance tasks around the zoo.
Please note: All volunteers must be over 16 years old and be able to work independently. Also due to the volume of volunteer applications you will be placed on a waiting list and contacted once a volunteer position becomes available.
Work experience placements
Brooklands Zoo is affiliated with the Certificate in Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals) distance learning course through Unitec Auckland and we have work experience placements each year via that course.
There are also limited Gateway programme places available for high school students. For more information on work experience placements email email@example.com.