21 August 2018
Our Civil Defence Team, Fire and Emergency NZ and NZ Police did an awesome job helping those affected by the tornado on Belt Road last night. Here’s some information about the incident.
- Tornado hit at about 5.30pm yesterday.
- About 20 properties have been impacted.
- 11 houses have been seriously damaged and occupants advised to stay with family or friends.
- One couple are in emergency accommodation.
- Further assessments are ongoing.
- Our civil defence team, Fire and Police have been busy helping out.
- Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park has had some minor damage to its Central Hall room. We’re onsite today cleaning up the tree damage.
- Central Districts Indoor Bowls club’s hall has been tarped by the Fire brigade and their insurance firm has been notified.
- Some NPDC facilities like Todd Energy Aquatic Centre were without power for a short period last night. It’s back to normal now.
- There has been no damage to NPDC’s core services such as our water and road networks.
- Homeowners are now contacting their insurance companies and are making sure any loose items around their homes are secure.
- The weather outlook is not great, more rain is forecast.
- So take care everyone, hunker down at home and keep safe.
- For regular updates go to Taranaki Civil Defence Facebook page or ring NPDC 06-759 6060 and ask for our Civil Defence team.