21 February 2018
NPDC is working hard to fix the water pipe issue and we’re aiming to fix it as soon as possible.
In the meantime we instruct residents in New Plymouth, Bell Block, Waitara, Tikorangi, Lepperton, Onearo and Urenui to boil water for one minute before being used for drinking. This includes filtered water.
Please use your emergency water supplies first.
Water tankers are on their way to the following locations:
- Hickford Park Car Park (end of Smeaton Road), Bell Block
- Bell Block Court, Bell Block (Outside The Warehouse)
- Outside Waitara Memorial Hall, Memorial Place, Waitara
- Clifton Park car park, opposite Waitara High School, Princess Street, Waitara
- Outside Tennis/Bowling Club, Manutahi Road, Lepperton
- Rimu Street Industrial Park, Rimu Street, Merrilands, New Plymouth
- Outside Mangorei School, Mangorei Road, New Plymouth
All big water users have been asked to stop using water. It is up to businesses and schools to decide if they should shut, however all water must be boiled first before being consumed. We’re working on getting a raw water supply to schools for flushing toilets, and for boiling for consumption, however the decision on whether to reopen remains with each school.
Once the pipe has been repaired, the boil water notice will remain in place for at least a week while we work on decontaminating the system and refilling our water storage.
There is a total ban on using water for gardens or outside washing.
Ex-Cyclone Gita has caused a large tree to fall and destroyed a pipe bridge that carries one of our biggest water pipes near the New Plymouth Water treatment plant yesterday afternoon. This has cut off water supply to the eastern part of the New Plymouth District and will result in outages this afternoon.
NPDC has sourced a pipe to use in the repair.
For more information check out NPDC’s Facebook page, website or call us on 06 759 6060.