15 November 2016
The Gallagher Chiefs will be back at Yarrow Stadium next year where they will face the Queensland Reds in Round 11 of the 2017 Investec Super Rugby competition.
The Super Rugby fixture, scheduled for Saturday 6 May, will mark the start of the winter calendar for Yarrow Stadium following a heavy summer line-up that includes an A-League football match between the Wellington Phoenix and Western Sydney Warriors, McDonald’s Super Smash cricket and Travis Pastrana’s Nitro Circus.
New Plymouth District Council Venues Manager Nelita Byrne says the timing of the match was great for Taranaki and would add to the fantastic variety of events that had been locked in for the stadium.
“We have a lot going on across the summer months and this will be a great way for the Taranaki public to kick off the winter sporting season.
“With the All Blacks also scheduled to play here in September, it gives our rugby-loving community some fantastic, quality rugby matches to look forward to.”
Byrne said while some may have been keen to see a repeat of the 2015 fixture between the Hurricanes and Chiefs at Yarrow Stadium, the Chiefs’ schedule still favoured Taranaki fans wanting to catch that clash.
“That particular match is happening up in Hamilton on 10 March. Being Taranaki Anniversary weekend, we’re hoping that means those fans who enjoy that Chiefs/Hurricanes rivalry will be able to head up there for the game.
“While the Reds have had a tough couple of Super Rugby seasons, they do play an exciting style of rugby which we know will entertain all of those who come along to the game.”
With five Port Taranaki Bulls in the Chiefs squad for 2017, the Hamilton-based team are hoping to provide the local community with plenty of opportunities to meet their Super Rugby heroes ahead of the match.
Yarrow Stadium 2016/17 calendar
- 10 December 2016, 7.10pm – McDonald’s Super Smash Cricket, Central Stags v Northern Knights.
- 31 December 2016, 7.10pm – McDonald’s Super Smash Cricket, Central Stags v Canterbury Kings.
- 4 February 2017, 7.35pm – A-League Football, Wellington Phoenix v Western Sydney Wanderers.
- 12 February 2017, 6pm – Nitro Circus.
- 6 May 2017 – Investec Super Rugby, Gallagher Chiefs v Queensland Reds.
- 9 September 2017 – Investec Rugby Championship, All Blacks v Argentina