Do I Need To Register?

Under the Food Act 2014, some food businesses and community groups are not required to operate under a food control plan or a national programme.

Food activities that are low risk, either because they don't happen often or cater to only a small number of people, don't need to operate under a food control plan or a national programme. This applies to some fundraising and community group food activities, and some businesses.

However, even though registration is not required food must be safe and suitable to eat.

Fundraising and community group exemptions

You don't need a food control plan or national programme if you are:

  • Selling food for fundraising less than 20 times a year. Fundraising activities include sausage sizzles, raffles and charity events.
  • Sharing food with others at sports clubs, social clubs or marae where food is not the purpose of the event. For example, providing nibbles at a bowling club games night or serving food at a tangi.
  • Selling food once in a calendar year at an event such as a local fair. 

When do you need to register under the Food Act?

Anyone starting a new business or makes and sell food must register under the Food Act 2014 before they start operating. 

>> Register a Food Business

Businesses and education provider’s exemptions

Types of businesses that don't need a food control plan or programme include:

  • Home-based childcare providers who prepare food for children in their care.
  • Small accommodation operators who provide food to less than 10 guests.
  • Growers selling unprocessed, home-grown fruit and vegetables directly to consumers, such as at farm gates or farmers markets.
  • People who sell only manufacturer pre-packaged foods that don't need refrigeration or freezing, like packets of biscuits or cans of food. 
  • Commercial fishing operators providing meals to their crew.
  • Clubs, organisations and societies where members produced food for other members at events or gatherings held and attended by members and where the trade in food is not the purpose of the event. 

New food business? How we can help

In addition to our Environmental Health Team, you can also work with our planning and building consents teams to ensure you meet all the relevant health and building regulations.

The Planning Team can offer advice on our District Plan and information on parking requirements, advertising and likely future patterns of development in that area.

Building Consent Officers can help with construction requirements, change of use conditions, grease traps, plumbing and drainage, egress, number of sanitary fixtures and access for disabled people. A building consent will be required for any work done.

The Environmental Health Officers can provide information on health requirements, inspections and the issue of registration to sell food.

Contact us for more information.