Water Connections and Disconnections

Residents pay for water as a separate uniform charge as a targeted rate. Businesses are metered and pay on a cubic metre basis.

Water connections and disconnections

For new residential, rural, coastal and commercial users you need to complete a water connection/disconnection form to get your water connected. 

A rural water connection is only available on a restricted flow (one cubic metre or 1000 litres per day minimum).
You will need to complete a water application/disconnection form (below) to get your water disconnected. For temporary disconnection get your plumber to disconnect the service on your side of the toby or manifold box. 

Approved contractors


Company name Name Phone number Email address Category
City Care Water Tony Ewens 06-769 5670  tony.ewens@citycare.co.nz Maintenance Contractor
Offshore Plumbing Services Ltd Racheal Cottom 06-755 2261  contact@offshoreplumbing.co.nz  A & B
Fulton Hogan Ltd
Deon Kumm 06-755 9697  deon.kumm@fultonhogan.com  A & B
Water Connections by Baza Ltd Barry Bayliss 027 457 3982  baza@waterconnections.co.nz  A & B
Downer Stephen Chamberlain 06-757 3905 stephen.chamberlain@downer.co.nz A

Water leaks

We are responsible for the maintenance of the mains and pipes leading up to your boundary and including your toby or manifold as well as fire hydrants. This also applies to right-of-ways. Leaks in pipes from your toby to your house are your responsibility to fix.

Find out how to tell where the leak is

Backflow preventers

All properties with extraordinary connections are required (by the Health Act 1956, Building Act 2004 and NPDC Bylaw 2008 Part 14) to have a backflow preventer installed to prevent water flowing back into the pipes that supply drinking water to the district. This is a necessary step to help ensure good public health in our community.

Properties with extraordinary connections include:

  • Homes with a business operation or swimming pool.
  • Commercial.
  • Industrial.
  • Agriculture.
  • Horticulture.
  • Viticulture.
  • Lifestyle blocks.

To have a backflow preventer installed, complete the water connection/disconnection form and submit the application. A reticulation officer will assess the level of risk then issue specification instructions to the NPDC approved water connection contractors, who will provide you with a quote to undertake installation of the specified device.

The property owner is responsible for the installation costs. This will vary, depending on the:

  • Degree of protection required (risk level).
  • Size of the device.
  • Complexity of the installation.