Leaks Maintenance and Upgrades

Leaking pipes? Gushing water main? Flooded or blocked culvert? Report it!

We are responsible for the maintenance of 120km of trunk mains and 560km of service mains water piping throughout the district. This includes the mains and pipes leading up to your boundary and your toby or manifold. Leaks in pipes from your toby to your house are your responsibility to fix. 

Water leaks

If you notice a water leak on a road, in a park or reserve, or on someone else’s property please let us know – giving as much information as possible about the leak (e.g. location, size). If the leak is on private property, we'll get in touch with the land owner to get it fixed.  

Contact us to let us know about a leak >

Or call on 06-759 6060

If you think you may have a water leak you can see if it is within your boundary by checking your water meter. Take a reading of the meter in the evening and another in the morning, ensuring that no water is used overnight. An increase in the reading overnight indicates that water has passed through the meter, and that there is a water leak on your side of the meter, in which case you should contact a plumber.

If your toby is leaking shut it off as soon as you notice. If the flow doesn’t stop, it means the leak is on our side of the toby and you should contact us to get it fixed. If the flow does stop, there is a leak on your side of the meter and you will need to contact a plumber.

Water mains refreshing

Water mains refreshing, or flushing, happens when we open up hydrants for up to 20 minutes to run fresh water though pipe networks that are not frequently used (e.g. in cul-de-sacs and dead end roads).

This sometimes causes water pressure to drop, however it seldom drops below the minimum level we've set.

Residents are notified through public notices when water mains refreshing is due to take place.