Testing the water on a bridge


Wastewater is another term for sewage. It is everything that gets flushed down the toilet, or washed down your kitchen sink and laundry into the wastewater/sewerage system.

New Plymouth District Council is responsible for maintaining and improving the wastewater/sewerage system to safeguard both the environment and public health. We manage the wastewater/sewerage network for more than 25,850 domestic and industrial properties from urban New Plymouth, Bell Block, Waitara, Inglewood and Oakura. 

We have one wastewater treatment plant for the New Plymouth District that produces a very high standard of treated wastewater/sewerage. The clean water is discharged into the ocean through an outfall pipe. A thermal drier at the wastewater treatment plant converts excess micro-organisms into a high grade Bioboost fertiliser. 

Should I call NPDC or a plumber?

If the sewer leak or blockage is in the private sewer drains on your property you will need to contact a plumber as this is property owner’s responsibility to fix. Please note that blockages in sewer laterals will not be attended by NPDC. The owner of a property is responsible for clearing blockages in the sewer lateral serving their property from the house to the point where the lateral connects into the sewer main. If the blockage is caused by a structural fault in the section of the lateral which is outside the property's boundary NPDC will consider reimbursement of reasonable costs.

If the leak or blockage is in NPDC's lines or from a sewer pump station (please call us to check if you are unsure) please contact us and we will arrange for a contractor to attend.

What's urgent:

Sewage leaks, manhole lids lifted, missing or damaged, or a strong smell of sewage are all urgent issues so please phone us on 06-759 6060 (24 hours a day, seven days a week).

For any non-urgent issues please contact us on 06-759 6060 (24 hours a day, seven days a week), email us on enquiries@npdc.govt.nz or use our online contact us form