Home Energy Scheme

Covid-19 Update

The Home Energy Scheme (Ngā Whare Ora Taiao o Ngāmotu)

  • Please bear with us if you’ve applied for a warmer, greener home loan to be repaid with your rates (also known as a voluntary targeted rate or VTR).
  • The processing of some applications has been delayed due to lockdown.


Home Energy Scheme

If you’re a home owner, you can apply for a loan to help make your home warmer and greener, and repay the loan with your rates.

The loan can help pay for:

  • Insulation.
  • Double-glazing.
  • Heating and hot water.
  • Solar power.
  • Rain water tanks.
  • Grey water systems.
  • Upgrades and replacements to your septic system.
  • Ventilation.
  • Charging ports for electric cars.
  • Energy-efficient lighting.
  • A home garden package for food and self-sustainability (eg. green houses, fruit and vegetable gardens and raised beds).

A $200 administration fee is payable at time of lodgment. Please return your completed application form to any of our service centres, or email it through to enquiries@npdc.govt.nz.


Free Sustainable Home Assessments

  • FREE consultation; providing personalised, independent advice on how your home could be warmer, dryer, healthier and more sustainable. We will work with you to find the right options for your home and circumstances.
  • Reviewing and providing design advice on proposed residential building plans.
  • Find out more information and apply here.


Warmer Kiwi Homes

Warmer Kiwi Homes provides grants for installing insulation and heating through the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA). You might be able to combine an EECA grant and a loan through the Home Energy Scheme to pay for insulation or home energy products. You can learn more about Warmer Kiwi Homes below. 


Who can apply for the Home Energy Scheme?

You can apply if:

  1. You’re a home-owner in New Plymouth District. 
  2. You’re up to date with your rates (no arrears over the past three years).
  3. You pay your rates by direct debit.
  4. You do not have an existing loan that you are repaying through rates on the property. 
  5. Your home was built before 2000 for insulation. 
  6. Your property is insulated and you want to apply for assistance with clean heat products, solar water heating or heat-pump water heating, but you can apply for help for insulation and other improvements at the same time.

How the Home Energy Scheme Works

Ratepayers can apply for:

  • A loan of up to $10,000 (to cover work including GST) to be repaid over five years with zero interest. 

Loan repayment

The loan is repaid through your rates, via a voluntary targeted rate (VTR). The increase in your rates will start at 1 July, which is the beginning of the rating year. 

If you sell your property before the end of the loan period, you will need to repay the remainder of the loan unless it is agreed with the purchaser that they will take over the loan. 

We will give you details of the repayment schedule before the loan is finalised.

Early repayment

You can pay off your loan early in full. We can provide you with total amount that you owe at any time. Just ask us for a settlement amount. We do not accept lump sum payments towards the amount owing.

Eligible products and services

The EECA's Energy Wise website has helpful advice on energy-saving and heating products and on funding.

How to apply

First, get in touch with an NPDC-approved installer.

The installer will assess your home free of charge and provide options for the improvements you want. You can get more than one quote.

They will outline your funding options, either through EECA, your bank or our Home Energy Scheme. 

If you select our Home Energy Scheme, you will need to complete and sign the application form, agreement and checklist, and provide the required information, such as quotes, product specification and fees.

What happens next?

  1. If you apply for a Home Energy Scheme loan, complete and return the signed application form and agreement with the checklist. Please provide all the required additional information and documentation such as the service provider’s quote and the product specification (not required for insulation). 
  2. If your rates are up to date and you meet all other eligibility criteria, we will approve your application and confirm the amount that will be added to your rates. 
  3. Some of this work will require a building consent.  Please talk to your provider or contact NPDC for advice.  
  4. You can then advise your service provider that the works can be undertaken. 
  5. The service provider must supply proof of the completion of works. A registered electrician must do the installation of electrical works. 
  6. We will inspect the installation of work as part of the building consent process. 
  7. When your installation is completed, the service provider invoices EECA (where an EECA grant is available) and us. We will pay our agreed contributions to the service provider. You must pay the balance. 
  8. We will add your additional rating increase to your property’s Land Information Memorandum (LIM)

Information for suppliers

As part of our Back on Our Feet plan to help households and businesses hit by the Covid-19 economic storm, we’ve expanded our Home Energy Scheme. We’re looking for qualified suppliers who offer household sustainability improvements, including energy efficiency, water conservation, efficient inbuilt heating and hot water systems, ventilation, energy conservation and generation systems, lighting efficiency improvements, self-sustainability and food resilience measures, and electric vehicle charging infrastructure, moving to electric or clean energy systems, and structural repairs to improve weather-tightness.