Before you get started
Before applying for a building consent make sure you know what you're applying for and if there are any other considerations or approvals that you need to address.
Our online system means you can:
- apply for a building consent anywhere, anytime
- track your consent progress online
- submit further information online
- receive all correspondence digitally - meaning faster and simpler processes!
Building applications you can apply for:
- Building Consents
- Project Information Memoranda (PIM)
- Code Compliance Certificates (CCC)
- Exempt works
- Certificates of Acceptance
- Certificates for Public use
Please visit Do I need a building consent? for further information on whether you need to apply for a building consent.
How do I apply for a Building Consent online?
- Sign up or login to the NPDC Building Consent portal (please allow up to 2 working days before your account is active). Once your account has been activated you’ll receive an email notification from us to confirm that you can now log in.
- Lodge your application – follow the prompts to enter your details, upload drawings and supporting documentation, and submit your application.
- Vetting – we’ll do a quick check to make sure that your application is complete and email you once it’s been accepted.
- Request for Further Information (RFI) – if we need to ask for more details to support your application, you’ll receive an email from us providing instructions on how to do this. You can also view any RFI’s on your dashboard in the customer portal.
- Processing – our Building Consent Processing team will assess your project against the NZ Building Code to make sure it’s safe and compliant. You can track the status at any time in the customer portal, it also shows any correspondence and due dates.
- Invoice – once the consent is granted we’ll upload an invoice to your customer portal, and send you an email notification with payment instructions.
- Grant and issue – once your fees are paid the consent can be issued - we’ll issue your Building Consent through the portal. You can download your full approved documentation from your customer portal.
- Inspections – your required inspections will be listed on your Building Consent. To make an inspection booking, please phone us on 06 759 6060. Following an inspection the report will be sent via email.
- Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) – once your required documents and CCC application form have been received and checked, we’ll be in touch to arrange a final inspection. If all of the building work has passed the final inspection we can issue your Code Compliance Certificate, and we’ll send you an invoice if there are any outstanding fees to be paid.
- The process is now complete!
Frequently asked questions
Why should I apply online for a Building Consent?
Our online application system has been designed to make it easier for you as a customer to apply and pay online, track the progress of your application, check any correspondence from us in one place, and download your approved consent. For NPDC, the online system streamlines our process, enabling us to action your application more efficiently, and allow multiple staff to work on different aspects of a consent at the same time.
How long will my application take to process online?
We usually process consents within 20 working days from the date of application. However if we need to contact you requesting further information for your application, or you’ve submitted an incomplete application, the length of time will depend on how long it takes for us to receive the information we require. For further information on consent processing, please refer to our booklet Information about the Building Consent Process.
If my builder/another party has applied for the consent on my behalf, can I still access the consent application to view the progress?
Yes, you can. When the submission is created, our Building Support Services team will ensure the owner is set up as a ‘collaborator’. This means that you’ll receive an email from NPDC advising that you’re able to log in to access the application. If you don’t already have an account, the email will provide a link to the login page so that you can create an account. Once your account is set up, you’re able to log in and view the progress of the application, edit any details and manage the application. You’ll receive email notifications as the application progresses, and will receive notification once it is granted, providing you with the option to pay online.
Is there an option to save a form that I regularly use, so that I don’t have to enter my details each time?
Yes. If you create a template, then each time you fill out a new submission, you can save certain information such as your name and/or company details in the blank template. To do this:
- Select the ‘Templates’ option located on the left hand panel of the screen
- Type in the name that you wish to identify the form as
- Complete the details in any of the sections that you wish to repeat in each application
- Click ‘Save and Close’
- The next time you wish to create an application using this form, click into ‘Templates’, select the form you wish to complete, then click the button ‘Create from Template’
How much will the application cost?
The standard fees and charges are applied regardless of whether you apply online or in person. The cost of the consent depends on the type of application, the cost of the work involved, and the level of detail required. View our fees and charges.
How do I pay for the consent?
When you receive email confirmation that your consent has been granted, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to pay. The invoice will be available online if you log into your customer portal. Payment options include online, internet or phone banking, or in person at the NPDC Civic Centre or Service Centres.
Can I still make a paper application at the NPDC Civic Centre or a Service Centre?
Yes. However, to improve the efficiency of your application being processed you should complete your application online if you have access to a computer.
If I lodge a paper application, and I later need to do an amendment, will I be able to do the amendment online?
No. if the original application was received in paper, it will not be entered into the portal. Therefore the amendment will also have to be submitted in paper format or emailed to be able to process it.
What types of files can I upload, and are there are file size requirements for my consent application?
All files and supporting documentation are required in pdf format. The files must be clear and legible. We can accept files of up to 300MB in size. We will accept the following:
Plans: A3 size
Supporting Documentation: A4 size
Photos: jpeg format for photos of completed building work, not photographed documents please
If an unaccepted format is uploaded, you’ll be notified by email and will be requested to re-submit a suitable format. We encourage bookmarking and hyperlinks to make documents easy to find and navigate.
How do I get approved documents from the Council?
Documents that have been approved by NPDC will be available in the portal for you to download. You will still be required to have approved documents on site during inspection.
Can I upload additional documents?
Yes, you can, during the submission and consent stage only. The documents tab will have a button at the top enabling you to request the upload of additional information. When making a request, you will be asked to provide a reason for the request and a notification will be sent to council which they can either accept or decline.
Once your consent is granted you’ll need to submit any new information by submitting an Amendment application.
How do I cancel or withdraw an application?
If the application is in a ‘draft’ state and not yet submitted: you’ll have the option to delete it yourself. You’ll find a button in the submission that says “Delete draft”.
If you’ve submitted the application: please contact the Building Support Services Team to cancel your application. Note: this must be in writing or by email to email@example.com , and cannot be withdrawn via a phone call. You may have some fees to pay if the application has progressed through any stages of the consent process.
How do I set up an account as an organisation?
- At the login page of the portal, you’ll have the option to sign up if you don’t already have an account.
- When you’re completing the sign up details, you’ll have an ‘Organisation’ option to fill out. Select ‘Company’ and then complete the company details.
- If you’re part of a national chain and have separate offices in different regions, we recommend that you register the account in the name of your local branch which identifies the area you cover (eg: BuildMe – Taranaki)
- The person who registered the company account becomes the Account Administrator, and is able to update company details and add other company users (see below: How do I add other company users to an account?)
How do I add other company users to an account?
You need to be the Account Administrator, to be able to add other company users to the account:
- Select Account Settings (drop down option, top right of screen)
- Select the ‘Users’ tab, and click the ‘Add User’ button
- Complete the details and determine if the new user is going to be an Account Administrator (most company users won’t be)
- All company users can create, amend and collaborate on any type of application made by the company
- To view your company users, they’ll be listed in the Users tab, under Account Settings
As a company acting as an agent for a client, how do we invite people outside of the company to view and/or edit applications?
The collaboration option allows multiple people to work on a submission together:
- Under the ‘My Submissions’ tab, select the submission you wish to add a client to
- Go to the ‘Summary Details’ tab and locate the ‘Collaborators’ section
- Click the ‘Invite Collaborator’ button, and complete the details, deciding on what permissions to set for them, as well as whether you would like them to receive notifications or not
- Click invite to send the collaboration invite
- The collaborator will then receive an email with a link to access the submission
- The collaborator must have a portal account before being able to access the submission link. Once they’ve logged in they need to click ‘Accept Invite’
- Summary details of the collaborators can be found in the ‘Summary Details’ tab, and can be edited or removed from here
As a company, how can we manage the automated updates and notifications for a client or ourselves?
Clients and agents/companies are automatically added as collaborators on a submission, to ensure everyone involved in the project is kept informed. This occurs when a submission is saved or submitted with client and agent details. The person making the submission will also be automatically added as a collaborator if they’re not the client or agent.
If you wish to edit or switch off the notifications for yourself or the client:
- Under the ‘My Submissions’ tab, select the submission that you wish to edit the notifications for
- Click on the cog icon to change the permission settings and switch the notifications on or off
- Click the ‘Save’ button
Can you remove yourself as an initiator if you applied on behalf of a client, and a consent has been approved?
No. However you can turn off notifications so that you stop receiving them. To do this, follow the instructions above under ‘As a company, how can we manage the automated updates and notifications that a client receives?’
How can you be sure of the integrity of the system?
The system has been tested for security robustness by regular penetration tests according to industry-recognised standards.
What do I need to do to make my password stronger?
You should aim to have at least six characters with at least one capital letter, one number, and one special character (eg: @#$!)
Where can I get assistance with an online application?
If you’re logged into the Building Consent portal, there is a help function icon in the top right hand corner of your screen which contains helpful information. You can also contact the Building Support Services Team, Mon – Fri, 8am-5pm on 06 759 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why didn’t I receive an email confirmation that my account has been set up?
Please allow up to 2 working days to receive your confirmation. If you haven’t received an email after this time, please check your spam folder or contact us on 06 759 6060, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm, or email email@example.com.
Which browser should I use to access my Building Consent Application account?
We recommend you use Google Chrome.