Vehicle Crossings

Are you undertaking a new building project, e.g. a garage or dwelling, and you require a new or upgraded vehicle crossing?

A vehicle crossing is the formed section of driveway from the front of the property boundary to the roadway. It is possible to widen or relocate your existing vehicle crossing, and an application is required to ensure that the Council’s standards are met.

Compliance depends on a number of factors such as set-backs from intersections and the type of road frontage.

Although the road reserve is owned by the Council, the Council’s bylaws require the property owner or occupier to pay for the cost of construction or upgrading the vehicle crossing.

For quality control, a Council-approved contractor must be used to install the crossing, you can't complete the work yourself. A list of these is provided in the vehicle crossing application form.

Work on a vehicle crossing can start only after approval is confirmed. Any work undertaken without approval will be considered as damage.

If you are building or renovating, we recommend you arrange for installation of a vehicle crossing after the building work is completed so the crossing is not damaged during construction. 

Relocation of services

If any services are going to be affected by the construction of your vehicle crossing, you will need to arrange for them to be relocated before you submit your vehicle crossing application.

Relocation of any Council-owned services and street furniture will be charged separately to the vehicle crossing application fee.

Example of services that may be located on your proposed vehicle crossing location are:

  • Water toby.
  • Stormwater.
  • Power pole.
  • Gas line.
  • Telephone line.
  • Street light pole.
  • Parking sensor.

Parking bays and parking systems

Some vehicle crossings may require alterations to marked parking bays or to ‘no parking’ spaces. Provide clear details of the location of any road marking, parking sensors or parking bay stations on the plan attached to your application form (or sketch at 4.).

Changes to parking may require endorsement by the Council, which requires a report to be presented to NPDC. Due to Council scheduled meetings it normally takes two to three months to approve changes to parking.

Once the parking changes are approved, the parking can be re-marked at the applicant’s cost. 

It is recommended that you do not start construction of the vehicle crossing until the Council has approved the parking changes.