Our role

We provide a range of services for situations involving animals in New Plymouth District. We are responsible for enforcing regulations for animal owners. Some of these services and regulations are outlined below. For complete information on our role see the bylaws section. There is more information for dog owners in the dogs section

When to contact us

You can contact us by phoning 06 759 6060 (24 hours a day 7 days a week) or through the online contact us form.

You should contact us if: 

  • An animal is causing a problem. The types of problems that are considered an annoyance or nuisance include excessive noise, strong smells, dust or an accumulation of animal waste that attracts pests and/or insects.  If the animal belongs to a neighbour, please discuss any concerns with them directly then contact us. 
  • There is stock effluent on the road.
  • You are moving stock. You may also need to notify the Police and state highway contractor (MWH ph: 06-349 1139) if the stock will be on a state highway for any length of time.

Keeping animals in urban areas

There are rules for keeping some types of animals in urban areas. The main regulations are outlined below, for more specific information and rules please see the Animal Bylaw.


You can keep bees on your property if they are not a nuisance to others and are not dangerous to people's health. There are limits to the number of hives you can keep on an urban property. They are:

a) three hives on a lot size less than 600m2

b) five hives on a lot size between 601m2 and 750m2

c) seven hives on a lot size greater than 750m2. 

If you want to have more hives on your property you will need to request permission from NPDC.

No more than three cats or kittens over the age of six months can be kept per house in an urban area without Council consent.
Cattle may be kept in urban areas provided they are kept no less than 2m from a boundary of any adjoining premises and are not, in the opinion of a Council officer, causing an annoyance.
Pigs may be kept in urban areas providing they don't cause a nuisance, aren't a health risk or offensive. Pigstys must comply with the Building Act 2004 and any discharge from a piggery must comply with the RMA and requirements from Taranaki Regional Council.
A maximum of 12 poultry are permitted to be kept in urban areas. The poultry must be adequately housed within a secure run and should not cause a nuisance to neighbours. No poultry house or run should be located within 10m of a dwelling or 2m from a boundary. Roosters may not be kept in urban areas.
You can keep two dogs in the city. To be able to keep more than two dogs on an urban property (less than 1 hectare) you must apply for consent which requires a property inspection. There is no charge for an inspection.
Ferrets and Stoats
You cannot keep ferrets and stoats. Under the Bio-security Act it is illegal to buy, breed or keep ferrets

Horse riding

Horses may be ridden in some areas, but riders need to be able to fully control their horses around people. In urban areas, horse owners are required to remove horse manure.

Horses are not allowed to be ridden:

  • Along any footpath, grass berm or other grassed area in an urban area unless it is a designated horse riding area.
  • Ngamotu Beach (includes the reserve, beach and playground area) at all times.
  • East End Beach to Fitzroy Beach (including the foreshore and beach area located between the Te Henui river mouth to the west and Waiwhakaiho river mouth to the east) from 9am to 6pm daily during daylight savings.
  • Ōākura Beach (including the foreshore and beach area located between Ahu Ahu Road to the west and the Ōākura river mouth to the east) from 9am to 6pm daily during daylight savings. 

New Plymouth has two areas specifically for riding your horse:

  • Lake Mangamahoe Bridle Path (north side of the lake).
  • Audrey Gale Reserve (right hand side only). 

Removing bees and wasps

To remove unwanted bees or wasps on your property check the Yellow Pages for a registered beekeeper. Contact us to report bees and wasps on public property.

Impounding stock fees (2021/22)

Under the Impounding Act 1955 (stock control) the following fees apply:

  • Fee per impounding per owner - $171 plus $7.15 per stock unit (SU).
  • Poundage fee per impounding per owner (repeat impounding) - $249 plus $9.70 per stock unit.
  • Sustenance fee per stock unit per day - $4 per stock unit per day.
  • Moving stock to pound or other place - actual costs.
  • Charges assume a sheep or goat = 1SU, calf or deer = 2SU, dairy or beef cattle = 5SU.