Where can I Freedom Camp?
Tents and other temporary structures are banned from freedom camping in New Plymouth District.
Self-contained freedom camping
Our Freedom Camping Bylaw 2017 allows self-contained freedom campers to stay a maximum of three nights in any 30-day period at any single location, excluding banned areas.
Non self-contained freedom camping
Non self-contained freedom campers may stay for a maximum of one night in a 30-day period at any of the restricted areas listed below, and must freedom camp in the marked spaces.
- Lake Rotomanu, New Plymouth – four marked spaces for non self-contained freedom camping.
- Battiscombe Terrace, Waitara – six marked spaces for freedom camping. These spaces are for non self-contained campers only.
- Corbett Park - five marked spaces for non self-contained freedom camping.
Banned areas - No freedom camping is allowed
- Back Beach bottom car park
- Ōākura beachfront
- Fitzroy Beach car park
- East End Beach car park
- Kawaroa Park
- Waiwhakaiho River Mouth
- Weld Road
- Ahu Ahu Road
Freedom Camping Tips
- Park in parking areas.
- Dispose of all waste and rubbish appropriately.
- Be considerate of other users of the area, and your effect on them and the environment around you.
You may be asked to move by an enforcement officer if:
- You are not parked legally.
- You are preventing others from undertaking legitimate activities in the area.
- You have stayed more than three nights (self-contained) or a single night (non-self-contained) in the same public place.
- You light any fires.
- You are not complying with the noise requirements as set out in the operative District Plan.
- Camping would create a health hazard.
- The public place is required for another purpose.
- Camping would obstruct pedestrian or vehicle traffic.
- The ground conditions are unsuitable for camping or camping will damage the area.
- Camping is not allowed at that site.
Freedom campers who do not comply with the Freedom Camping Bylaw will be liable to a $200 fine.
Where to dispose of toilet and grey water
Waste from campervans can be disposed of free of charge at:
- AA Vehicle Testing Station, 14D Swans Road, Bell Block.
- BP Powderham, 71 Powderham Street, New Plymouth.
- Mobil, corner of Leach and Eliot streets, New Plymouth.
There are several camping grounds and accommodation available in the New Plymouth area. Information is available on the Visit Taranaki website.