We are offering ratepayers an alternative way to fund the installation of home energy products and insulation in their home.
As a ratepayer you may be eligible to apply for a loan of up to $5,000 (including GST) to support the installation of clean heat products, solar and heat pump water heating or up to $2,600 (including GST) for the installation of insulation.
The loan is repaid through your rates, via a Voluntary Targeted Rate (VTR), with interest over a nine year period. The interest rate is set at seven per cent per annum and subject to change annually. You will be notified of any change. The increase in your rates will start at 1 July, which is the beginning of the rating year.
The table below gives you an idea of how much you would pay back depending on how much you apply for (figures are indicative only).
|Cost per rate payment (monthly)||$63.95||$34.42||$26.48||$13.24|
|Per annum cost||$767.44||$413.03||$317.72||$158.86|
|Nine year total||$6,906.98||$3,717.27||$2,859.48||$1,429.74|
Eligible products and services
A Voluntary Targeted Rate (VTR) may be available for a range of services and products. You can find out more information from EECA's Energy Wise website.
To be eligible for the scheme you must:
- Be the ratepayer for the home.
- Be up to date with the rates (no arrears).
- Pay your rates by direct debit.
- Not have an existing VTR on the property.
- Have a home built before 2000 (for insulation).
- The property must be insulated, if you want to apply for assistance with clean heat products, solar water heating or heat pump water heating.
How to apply
First, get in touch with a Council-approved installer.
The installer will assess your home free of charge and provide options to fit insulation, clean energy or water heating products. You may wish to get more than one quote.
They will outline the funding options available to you, either through EECA, your bank or our VTR scheme.
If you select our VTR payment scheme you will need to complete and sign the application form, agreement and checklist, and provide the required additional information (e.g. quotes, product specification, fees etc).
To find out what funding may be available from EECA, ask a service provider, visit the EECA website www.energywise.govt.nz/funding-and-programmes or phone 0800 358 676.
You may wish to speak with your bank about providing finance for your home energy installation. Contact your bank for more information or visit www.energywise.govt.nz/content/help-your-bank
What happens next
- If you choose to apply for financial assistance via our VTR scheme, complete and return the signed application form and agreement with the checklist. Please also provide all required additional information and documentation such as the service provider’s quote, the product specification (not required for insulation) and the $200 administration fee.
- If your rates are up to date and you meet all other eligibility criteria, we will approve your application and confirm the amount that will be added to your rates.
- For solar water heating or a woodfire, you are required to apply for a building consent.
- You can then advise your service provider that the works can be undertaken.
- Proof of the completion of works will be required from the service provider. In the case of the installation of clean heat products, solar and heat pump water heating, and other installations which require electrical works the installations must be undertaken by a registered electrician.
- Following the installation of solar water heating or a woodfire, there will be an inspection from us as part of the building consent process.
- When your installation is completed the service provider invoices EECA (where an EECA grant is available) and us. We will both pay our agreed contributions to the service provider. You will be responsible for the payment of any outstanding amount to the service provider.
- We will add your additional rating increase to your property’s Land Information Memorandum (LIM).
For more information please contact us on 06-759 6060, or pop in to the Civic Centre or one of our Library and Service Centres.