New Plymouth District Council
The Council meets on a six-weekly cycle.
Mayor: Neil Holdom
Deputy Mayor: Richard Jordan
Councillors: Tony Bedford, Sam Bennett, Gordon Brown, David Bublitz, Anneka Carlson, Murray Chong, Amanda Clinton-Gohdes, Harry Duynhoven, Richard Handley, Stacey Hitchcock, Colin Johnston, Dinnie Moeahu and Marie Pearce.
Strategy and Operations Committee (Committee of the Whole)
- Enables the efficient and effective conduct of the Council’s business.
- Ensures decisions are made with the appropriate level of input from Te Huinga Taumatua, community boards, and any other decision-making body by referring relevant matters to those bodies.
- Ensures that decisions are made with the appropriate level of participation by Maori and the wider community in the decision-making process.
Monitors the Council’s performance, progress and financial position against, and to ensure actions are compliant with legislation, strategies, policies and plans.
Enables delivery of operational activities in accordance with approved plans and policies where those actions are beyond the delegations to Council staff.
Considers strategies, policies, bylaws and plans to promote the district’s community outcomes and priorities.
Considers matters not provided for in the Long-Term Plan, Annual Plan or other strategies and plans.
Considers cross-committee matters or matters not the function of any other committee
Chairperson: Councillor Stacey Hitchcock
Deputy Chairperson: Councillor Richard Handley
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom and councillors Tony Bedford, Sam Bennett, Gordon Brown, David Bublitz, Anneka Carlson, Murray Chong, Amanda Clinton-Gohdes, Harry Duynhoven, Stacey Hitchcock, Colin Johnston, Richard Jordan, Dinnie Moeahu and Marie Pearce
Te Huinga Taumatua Committee
Identifies and discusses issues of cultural, economic, environmental and social importance to Māori in the district. Te Huinga Taumatua will generate items for the Council to consider as well as make recommendations on Council issues.
Co-Chair: Councillor Gordon Brown and one appointee from the Iwi representatives
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom, councillors Anneka Carlson, Dinne Moeahu and David Bublitz and one elected trustee of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Tama Trust, Te Kāhui o Taranaki Trust, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Maru Trust, Te Kotahitanga o Te Ātiawa Trust, and Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga.
Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to assist the Council to fulfil its governance, risk management and control objectives by:
- Providing objective advice and recommendations to the Council on the effectiveness of the Council’s governance, risk management, financial management and control frameworks and processes.
- Setting and monitoring the implementation of the Council’s external and internal audit programmes and processes.
- Monitoring legislative compliance and the appropriateness of systems, processes, and controls in place to prevent, detect and investigate the risk of fraud.
- Obtaining assurance about the processes used to ensure the completeness and quality of financial and operational information provided to the Council, and the appropriateness of NPDC’s existing accounting policies and principles.
Chairperson: Councillor Richard Handley
Deputy Chairperson: Mrs Adrienne Young-Cooper (independent member)
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom and councillors Tony Bedford, Amanda Clinton-Gohdes, Stacey Hitchcock and Richard Jordan
CCOs (Council Controlled Organisation) Committee
To communicate the Council’s priorities and strategic outcomes to the Council’s CCOs.
To ensure delivery by CCOs through the development of Statement of Intent and integration of CCO outcomes with the Council’s Long-Term Plan and Annual Plan funding processes and decisions.
Monitoring the financial and non-financial performance and delivery on strategic outcomes of the Council’s CCOs through quarterly, half-yearly and annual reports.
Chairperson: Councillor Richard Jordan
Deputy Chairperson: Councillor Colin Johnston
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom and councillors Sam Bennett, Gordon Brown, Anneka Carlson, Murray Chong and Dinnie Moeahu
Strategic Projects Committee
- To monitor the Councils strategic projects planned for the future 12 month periods (rolling).
- To consider and make recommendations to Council regarding new strategic projects no included in the Annual Plan or the Long-Term Plan for that current year.
Chairperson: Councillor Harry Duynhoven
Deputy Chairperson: Councillor Marie Pearce
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom and councillors Tony Bedford, David Bublitz, Amanda Clinton-Gohdes, Richard Handley, Stacey Hitchcock and Colin Johnston
Chief Executive Performance Review Committee
- To regularly discuss, review and measure the performance of the Chief Executive against approved objectives and report to the Council.
- In consultation with the Chief Executive, recommend to the Council the performance objectives for the Chief Executive on an annual basis.
- Lead the annual review of the Chief Executive’s performance in accordance with the process set out in the Chief Executive’s employment contract, ensuring involvement of the full Council.
- In association with the annual performance review undertake a review of the Chief Executive’s remuneration package and make recommendations to the Council on an annual basis
Chairperson: Mayor Neil Holdom
Members: Councillors Harry Duynhoven,Richard Handley, Stacey Hitchcock, Richard Jordan and Marie Pearce
Community Funding Investment Committee
To implement and administer the following funding schemes operated by the Council or administered by the Council on behalf of other organisations:
- Creative Communities New Zealand Scheme.
- Community Funding Investment Policy (including Strategic Council Community Partnerships, Social Enterprise Grants, Community Services and Programmes Grant, Community Action Neighbourhood Development Matching Grant Fund, Marae Development Grant, Rural Halls Development Grant, Built, Cultural and Natural Heritage Protection Grant).
Chairperson: Councillor Amanda Clinton-Gohdes
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom and councillors Tony Bedford, Gordon Brown, Anneka Carlson, Harry Duynhoven and Dinnie Moeahu
District Licensing Committee
To hear and determine submissions on applications under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
Chief Commissioner: Mr Alex Matheson
List members: Mr Glen West, Mr Peter Coles, Mr Paul Walden, Mr John Rowe, Mr Barrie Smith and Mr Lynn Bublitz and Ms Channa Perry
Len Lye Committee
To give formal structure to the relationship between the Council and the Len Lye Foundation as set out in the Deed of Relationship dated 24 June 2004.
Chairperson: Councillor Marie Pearce
Members: Councillors Sam Bennett, Stacey Hitchcock and Mayor Neil Holdom, Len Lye Foundation representatives Mr John Matthews, Mr Evan Webb, Mr Roger Horrocks and Mr Wystan Curnow.
Yarrow Stadium Joint Committee
A joint committee with representatives from New Plymouth District Council and Taranaki Regional Council responsible for:
- Preparing long-term asset management plans, and associated budgets, for Yarrow Stadium, for the consideration and approval of the Councils.
- Providing advice to the Councils on the preparation of Yarrow Stadium Strategic Plans.
- Monitoring the implementation of adopted asset management plans.
- Providing advice to the Councils on the implementation of the adopted Yarrow Stadium Strategic Plans;
- Receiving advice and feedback from the Yarrow Stadium Advisory Group on hosting of events at Yarrow Stadium, the development and implementation of Yarrow Stadium Strategic Plans and asset management plans, and the operations of Yarrow Stadium.
Members: Mayor Neil Holdom (NPDC), Cr David Bublitz plus two Taranaki Regional Council appointees