How to Make a Submission or Objection

We publicly consult on a variety of issues every year. Read the current consultations and have your say in the future of your community. You can also contact us at any time with comments on any issue, whether they are part of a formal consultation or not.

Long-Term Plan 2018-2028

Our Long-Term Plan (10 Year Plan) 2018-2028 was adopted by the Council on 27 June 2018. This is the Council’s big picture plan. It shows how we want the district to develop and sets out the projects and services we’ll provide over the next 10 years.

Individual sections:


Submission to a temporary road closure

Please use this form if you would like to make a submission regarding a temporary road closure.

District Plan Change submissions

If you are looking to have your say on our latest Plan Changes, please refer to our District Plan section of the website.

Making a submission on a resource consent application

There is a 20-working day period following public notification for written submissions to be sent to us.

A submission can support, object, or be a mixture of both, to parts of or the entire proposal.

The Resource Management Act (RMA) requires that a submission must be in writing and must contain the following information:

  • The reason for the submission.
  • Whether you support or oppose the application.
  • The decision you wish us to make.
  • Whether or not you wish to speak at a hearing (if you do not indicate this, you may not be invited to the hearing).
  • The conditions you would like to see imposed on the consent if it is granted.
  • Your name, postal address and phone number.

Send your submission to us and a copy to the applicant. We will formally acknowledge receipt of your submission. You may then be invited to participate in a pre-hearing meeting.

Tips for writing submissions:

  • Focus on the points that are the most important. Make it clear which parts of the application you are referring to (if possible, refer to a specific section or part of the application).
  • Be specific. Submissions should be relevant to the application and the environmental issues relating to the resource consent application.
  • Clearly explain how you might be affected, and how those effects should be managed. The submission can relate only to environmental effects, and not to trade competition effects.
  • Suggest alternatives to the proposed approach, giving reasons why the alternatives are more appropriate.

When the period for making submissions is finished a date is set for a pre-hearing or hearing meeting.

How to object to an alcohol licence application

Objections to an alcohol licence application must be lodged within 15 working days of the public notice announcing the application. See the current alcohol licence applications

They can be posted or emailed to:

District Licensing Committee
Private Bag 2025
New Plymouth 4342

Your letter of objection must include:

  • The name and location of the premises.
  • Why you have 'greater interest' than the general public.*
  • Your reasons for objecting.
  • Your name, address and contact details.

* You have 'greater interest' if you are likely to be more directly affected by the licence than most other people. For example, a nearby resident or adjacent business.

Section 105 specifies matters objections can be made in relation to. You must make specific reference to at least one of these in your letter:

  1. the object of this Act (s.4 of the Act):
  2. the suitability of the applicant:
  3. any relevant local alcohol policy:
  4. the days on which and the hours during which the applicant proposes to sell alcohol:
  5. the design and layout of any proposed premises:
  6. whether the applicant is engaged in, or proposes on the premises to engage in, the sale of goods other than alcohol, low-alcohol refreshments, non-alcoholic refreshments, and food, and if so, which goods:
  7. whether the applicant is engaged in, or proposes on the premises to engage in, the provision of services other than those directly related to the sale of alcohol, low-alcohol refreshments, non-alcoholic refreshments, and food, and if so, which services:
  8. whether (in its opinion) the amenity and good order of the locality would be likely to be reduced, to more than a minor extent, by the effects of the issue of the licence:
  9. whether (in its opinion) the amenity and good order of the locality are already so badly affected by the effects of the issue of existing licences that —
       (i) they would be unlikely to be reduced further (or would be likely to be reduced further to only a minor extent) by the effects of the issue of the licence; but
       (ii) it is nevertheless desirable not to issue any further licences:
  10. whether the applicant has appropriate systems, staff, and training to comply with the law.

The Act defines good order and amenity as 'pleasant and agreeable'. Section 106 can help explain what good order and amenity covers.