Huatoki Street Improvements
Following input from residents and Vogeltown School, we have developed this concept design with the following key features:
- Raising the crossing point at the Huatoki/Carrington intersection to slow traffic and improve the safety of people crossing at this location.
- Installing P120s (operational Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) opposite the shops, outside #9 Huatoki Street.
- Removing 6m of parking to the right of all driveways to improve visibility and improve safety for vehicles exiting.
- Installing along the road low-level planting (at a height that won’t obstruct visibility) to improve street amenity.
- Creating a shared path along the northern side of Huatoki Street to connect the junior and senior schools (linked by the pedestrian crossing) to enable off-road travel for people biking as well as scootering and walking.
- Raising the pedestrian crossing and including a raised cycle crossing to connect the shared path, to improve visibility and reduce speed of approaching vehicles at the pedestrian crossing.
- Reinstating a footpath on both sides of the road to ensure a smooth surface and remove trip hazards.
- Installing grass berms (1m wide) on the southern side of Huatoki Street between Hursthouse and Carrington.
- Shifting the bus stop from in front of Vogeltown School to the eastern side of Hursthouse Street (operational 7.30am – 4.30pm school days only; otherwise available for parking).
- Building out in front of the senior school to include seating and planting to improve amenity for the school and passers-by.
- Doing a small planting out the front of the junior school to improve amenity.
- Providing consistent 2m-wide cycle lanes either side to ensure best practice for on-road cycle lanes, and to avoid the car door zone.
- Installing marker posts along the outside curve of the cycle lane on the northern side to discourage vehicles from tracking into the cycle lane and encourage vehicles to reduce speed as they come around the corner.
- Improving all kerb crossings to meet best practice standards on gradient to support accessibility users and people with prams.
You can view the design concept below.
Kauri Street Improvements
We have developed a concept design, with input from Merrilands School and residents, to improve the layout of Kauri Street.
The key proposals are:
- Relocating and raising the crossing point.
- Widening the path on the school side of the street (to become a shared path).
- Installing kerb build-outs at the intersection of Mangorei and Kauri Streets.
- Realigning parking spaces.
- Replacing the camellia trees with lancewoods.