Requiring activities to be licensed; to ensure that activities are carried out in a safe and responsible manner.
Informing the community about acceptable standards of behaviour in public places.
Promoting a nuisance free environment, i.e. through rules on the keeping of animals.
Ensuring that the public can safely use public land.
Bylaws are a useful way of dealing with particular local nuisance problems. They focus on issues that the Council determines are significant enough to pass enforcement options.
The New Plymouth District Council Bylaws are made in accordance with the requirements set out in the Local Government Act 2002.
Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2019
The purpose of this bylaw is to promote effective and efficient waste management and minimisation in the New Plymouth District and ensure that waste collection and disposal does not have significant environmental or health impacts, by regulating recycling, ownership of the waste stream, waste storage, waste management and waste collection.
Freedom Camping Bylaw
NPDC has adopted amendments to the Freedom Camping Bylaw 2017. The changes to the bylaw come into effect on 14 December 2018, and are as follows:
- Non-self-contained vehicles may stay for a maximum of one night in a 30-day period at any of the locations listed below, and must freedom camp only in the marked spaces:
- Lake Rotomanu.
- Battiscombe Terrace
- Corbett Park.
- Tents and other temporary structures are banned from freedom camping in New Plymouth District.
- All freedom camping is prohibited from the following locations at all times:
- Ōākura Beach front.
- Fitzroy Beach car park.
- East End Beach car park.
- Back Beach bottom car park.
- Kawaroa Park.
- Waiwhakaiho River mouth.
You can read the full bylaw here or collect a hard copy of the bylaw from the Civic Centre on Liardet Street.
Bylaws in the New Plymouth District Council Bylaw 2008 and 2010
- Introductory Bylaw 2008 and 2010 (To be read in conjunction with all other Bylaw parts)
- Bylaw 2010: Part 2 Dog Control
- Bylaw 2010: Part 3 Liquor Control
- Bylaw 2010: Part 4 Brothels (Location and Signage) and Commercial Sex Premises (Signage)
- Bylaw 2010: Part 5 Speed Limits
- Bylaw 2010: Part 6 Beauty Therapy, Tattooing and Skin Piercing
- Bylaw 2008: Part 2 Animals
- Bylaw 2008: Part 3 Cemeteries and crematorium
- Bylaw 2008: Part 3a Cemeteries and crematorium (Supplementary to Part 3 Cemeteries and crematoria New Plymouth District Council Bylaw 2008)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 4 Fire Prevention of nuisance from fires & smoke, and maintenance of public health & safety (see also Regional Air Quality Plan) (Amended 1 March 2011)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 6 Recreation and cultural facilities
- Bylaw 2008: Part 8 Skateboards
- Part XXXVI Airport (Amendment 3 1962)
2008 Bylaws Amended and Readopted July 2013
- Bylaw 2008: Part 10 Stock control (as amended and readopted July 2013)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 11 Trade Waste (as amended and readopted July 2013)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 13 Traffic (as amended and readopted July 2013)
2008 Bylaws Amended and Readopted September 2014
- Bylaw 2008: Part 1 Introductory (as amended and readopted September 2014)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 5 Public Places (as amended and readopted September 2014)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 7 Signs (as amended and readopted September 2014)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 12 Trading in public places (as amended and readopted September 2014)
- Bylaw 2008: Part 14 Water, Wastewater and Stormwater Services (as amended and readopted September 2014)