The Façade Enhancement Fund offers financial assistance to property owners or tenants in New Plymouth’s city centre to improve a building’s façade and/or signage on the building. We have designed this scheme to provide support for community efforts in:
- adding vibrancy to the city centre,
- making the city more aesthetically pleasing for shoppers,
- making buildings more attractive and suitable for potential tenants,
- preservation of the central city’s character through building treatment and design.
Grants will be awarded for well-designed façade improvements that increase the longevity of a building. The types of improvements that can be funded may include the following:
- colours - need to be in keeping with the era building and approved by NPDC for buildings
- street art on buildings will be considered upon provision of a mock-up design
- signage – needs to be in keeping with the building and approved by NPDC
- restoration of architectural details and masonry work
- fire escapes, awnings/canopies and shutters
- verandas, stairs (external), cleaning of the building (walls and roof).
- unsightly elements from building facades that do not fit the period of the building
- decorative lighting
- appropriate period architectural features.
The buildings must be located in the New Plymouth city centre zone in accordance with the district plan Façade Enhancement Fund priority area. Please see the map below for specific details.
- The owner/occupier must contribute at least one third of the total project cost, however if this is not possible please contact the CBD Facilitator by emailing email@example.com.
- At least two quotes must be provided.
- Priority will be given to applicants that have not had funding from this fund before.
We will also take into account the attributes of the building, its location, its occupancy and the urgency of the work.
Heritage buildings must seek funding from the Built Heritage Fund in the first instance. If funding is granted from the Built Heritage Fund, applications for the same building will not be considered for this fund.
Funding will not be allocated to work that has already commenced and/or been completed.
Only one application per building, per year will be considered.
If you are successful with an application, a maximum of 50% of the funding will be provided once the agreement has been signed. The work must be completed satisfactorily, an evidence report completed and signed off by an NPDC officer and all GST invoices provided before full and final payment is made.
The funding must be used within 12 months of approval.
- Applications can be made at the link below
- Applications from tenants must have written approval and support from the building owner.
- Applications can be received at any time.
- Decisions are usually made in 4-6 weeks after receiving the application.
- Completion of work
Once the work has been completed a report must be provided documenting receipts of services and/or goods, and photographic evidence of the work completed. Any unspent funds must be returned to NPDC.