A census is carried out every five years to find out about the people who live in New Zealand. The most recent census was done in 2018. You can find out statistical information for New Plymouth, Taranaki and the rest of New Zealand on the Statistics New Zealand website.
New Plymouth District Statistics
- 80,679 people usually live in New Plymouth District. This is an increase of 6,495 people since the 2013 Census.
- There are 39,630 males in New Plymouth and 41,049 females
- New Plymouth District has 1.7 percent of New Zealand's population.
- 14,370 Māori usually live in New Plymouth District. This is an increase of 3,288 people since the 2013 Census.
- 1.8 percent of New Zealand's Māori population usually live in New Plymouth District.
- The median age of New Plymouth residents is 40.6 years old.
- 3.6% of people speak Te Reo Māori.
- 49.6% of residents are married and 31.9% have never been married.
- 15.9% of New Plymouth residents were born outside of New Zealand, with the biggest group, about 30%, coming from the UK and Ireland.
- There are 33,726 private dwellings in the New Plymouth district.
- 56.3% of residents live in an owned or partly owned house.
- The median income in New Plymouth is $30,400. 16.3% of residents earn over $70,000 a year.
- 19.9% of people living in New Plymouth are in full-time study
- 73.2% of people drive to work, 6.1% walk, jog or cycle and 14.9% work from home.
- 84% of residents have access to the internet and 91.7% have a cellphone.
Source: Census 2018 - Department of Statistics.
New Plymouth District usually resident population
Source: Census - Department of Statistics.
|New Plymouth Central||609||666||612||639||675|