Solid Waste Licensing

Under the Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw (2019) anyone involved in the collection, transportation or disposal of waste must be licensed by us.

Licensing operators enables us to collect information about the types of waste being disposed of. This will help us implement the requirements of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008, particularly having data to feed into the development and review of future Waste Management and Minimisation Plans.

The licence may also enable us to regulate some of operators' practices, for example collection times.

From January 2021 we will have a revised Solid Waste Licensing system. We will be contacting relevant businesses regarding licence requirements. If we do not contact you and you would like more information on licensing requirements please email the Commercial Waste and Minimisation Officer.

Who needs to apply for a licence?

Any organisation that collects, transports or disposes of:

  • Waste in excess of 10 tonnes per annum (excluding hazardous waste).
  • Any hazardous waste.
  • Diverted materials, such as recyclables and green waste, in excess of 10 tonnes per annum.

Any organisation that operates a disposal facility, resource recovery facility, landfill site, clean fill site, managed fill site or mono-fill site.

Licences can be granted for up to five years, but are reviewed annually.

When is a licence not required?

A solid waste licence is not required when the land is used for the disposal of the clean fill material sourced directly from that land or the fill consists solely of:

  • Hardfill that is natural or uncontaminated or cover material, or both; or
  • Not more than 30m³, or such greater amount as the Council may approve, of other hardfill materials measured over any continuous 12 month period.

Do we need to use approved containers for waste and recycling collections?

We encourage the use of containers that have:

  • Appropriate identification on the containers (such as the name of the waste company, and property address to which it is allocated). 
  • Follow national guidelines relating to the appropriate colour of containers or at least container lids. See the WasteMINZ website for more information.