Managers Certificates

It is a requirement of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act that when alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public a duty manager is responsible for compliance with the Act. This includes enforcing the conditions of the premise's alcohol licence, monitoring the conduct of patrons, promoting responsible drinking and reducing alcohol abuse.

Temporary/Acting manager: If a certified manager is ill, absent, dismissed or has resigned the licensee may appoint either an uncertified temporary manager or an uncertified acting manager. Notification to the DLC is required and certain conditions apply.

Application timeframes over the Christmas and New Year period

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, a working day does not include any day between 20 December 2015 and 15 January 2016 - no applications will be considered during this period.

All applications for special licences must be made to the Council at least 20 working days before the event. (Funerals that require an alcohol licence are exempt from this timeframe but an application will still need to be completed.)

How to apply for a manager's certificate

Once you have the appropriate qualifications, at least six months experience in the industry, and are over 20 years old you can make an application for a manager's certificate.

Applications must be accompanied by:

  • The application form.
  • The police questionnaire.
  • Relevant evidence of previous experience, e.g. a reference from the licensee(s) of the licensed premises where you gained your experience.
  • Evidence of relevant training and qualifications, i.e. a LCQ.
  • The application fee (detailed in the application form). Note: Training costs are additional to the manager's certificate fee.
  • A copy of your ID. 

A copy of the application is sent to the police and the district licensing inspector so that they may enquire into, and report on, the suitability of the applicant.

Applicants for manager's certificates will need to have completed bar manager training, which includes:

  • Unit 4646- Demonstrate knowledge of maintaining a responsible drinking environment as a server in licensed premises
  • Unit 16705 - Knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act

These units need to be hooked onto the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and then a Record of Learning sent to Hospitality Standards Institute to generate the nationally recognised Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ).

Renewing your manager's certificate

Manager's certificates are renewed every three years. You must apply to renew your manager's certificate before it expires. You will need to show that you are still involved in managing the sale and supply alcohol. A copy of your ID is also required.

The DLC forwards your renewal application to the police and licensing inspector for their reports. If there are no objections your certificate will be renewed. Otherwise it will be considered by a hearing of the DLC.

Training providers

Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki (WITT)    
Bell Street Campus
Private Bag 2030
New Plymouth
Phone: 06-757 3100 (extension 8908) or 06-759 2090

Licensing Services in association with Liquor Licensing Bureau Ltd
New Plymouth
Phone: 06-753 9201 or 0800 bartrain (227 872)
Fax: 06-753 9207

Hospitality Management Learning Ltd
Phone: 0800 765 228

The Training Bureau (tutored by Cameron Nash)
NZQA Registered, Category 1 Provider
Phone 0800-227 872 

Industry Training Solutions (Poppy Clapperton)
NZQA Registered, Category 1 Provider
Book online at
Phone: 0800 GO 4 ITS (464 487)
* Regular courses are held in New Plymouth, Stratford and Hawera, and onsite training for groups is available.