If your rubbish day lands on a public holiday your rubbish and recycling will be collected as normal.
An exciting new project is currently underway at the region’s Resource Recovery Facility on Colson Road, New Plymouth. Find out more about the Community Reuse and Recycle Centre.
It is illegal to dump rubbish in public areas. You can keep Taranaki beautiful and help us find those responsible for dumping rubbish by reporting what you notice - phone 0800 DUMPING (386 7464) or use the form below.
If the rubbish might affect a waterway, call Taranaki Regional Council’s environment hotline on 0800 736 222.
Sorting and preparing your recycling
- Place all recyclable materials into your recycling bin loosely – do not stack or sort items into boxes or bags. Stacked recyclables cannot be separated and plastic bags clog up the machinery so cannot be recycled.
- You don’t need to remove labels from tins, bottles or jars but please rinse out all your containers to remove liquids and food scraps. Dirty recyclables cannot be recycled and will go to landfill (plus they will make your bin smell).
- Please remove bottle and jar lids and place them in the your red general waste bag.
- Larger plastic container lids can be recycled as long as they are grade 1-7 (look for the triangle) and are bigger than 10cm in diameter.
- Flatten or tear your cardboard boxes to save space.
- You can leave staples in magazines and transparent windows in envelopes.