Busking is generally allowed in a public place that is owned or under our control providing no annoyance, nuisance or other inconvenience is created.
If a justifiable complaint is received it is likely that the busker will be asked to stop busking and to submit a written application to continue the activity. Any direction given by an authorised officer must be immediately complied with.
Tips for buskers
- Don't use amplified music.
- Avoid using offensive language or actions.
- Keep noise levels low and stick to popular music as complaints are often based on the volume or type of music.
- When looking for a site to busk, make contact with the neighbouring shopkeepers.
- Don't obstruct pedestrians.
- Avoid standing in any one place for a long period of time (e.g. longer than an hour). Depending on your expertise and musicianship, shop owners may be pleased to have you operate outside their shop for a longer (agreed to) period.
- Don't solicit or canvass for donations.
To make a complaint or for more information please contact us.