Horses may be ridden in most areas, but riders need to be able to fully control their horses around people. In urban areas, horse owners are required to remove horse manure.
Horses are not allowed to be ridden:
- Along any footpath, grass berm or other grassed area in an urban area unless it is a designated horse riding area.
- Ngamotu Beach (includes the reserve, beach and playground area) at all times.
- East End Beach to Fitzroy Beach (including the foreshore and beach area located between the Te Henui river mouth to the west and Waiwhakaiho river mouth to the east) from 9am to 6pm daily during daylight savings.
- Oakura Beach (including the foreshore and beach area located between Ahu Ahu Road to the west and the Oakura river mouth to the east) from 9am to 6pm daily during daylight savings.
New Plymouth has two areas specifically for riding your horse:
- Lake Mangamahoe Bridle Path (north side of the lake).
- Audrey Gale Reserve (right hand side only).