While we encourage all campers to use the range of camping grounds and accommodation the region has to offer we understand some people prefer the flexibility of freedom camping (camping on public land).
Our bylaws allow self-contained campervans to stay a maximum of three nights in any month at any single location. To freedom camp, campervans must have self-contained water storage and a minimum of three days storage capacity for toilet and grey water waste.
Where to dispose of toilet and grey water
Waste from campervans can be disposed of free of charge at:
- AA Vehicle Testing Station, 14D Swans Road, Bell Block.
- BP Powderham - 71 Powderham Street, New Plymouth.
- Mobil – Corner of Leach and Eliot streets, New Plymouth.
Freedom camping tips
To make your camping experience enjoyable we also recommend you:
- Park in designated parking areas.
- Dispose of all waste and rubbish appropriately.
- Are considerate of other users of the area and your impact on them and the environment around you.
You may be asked to move by an authorised officer if:
- You are not in a self-contained vehicle.
- You have stayed more than three nights in any public place.
- Camping would create a health hazard.
- The public place is required for another purpose.
- Camping would obstruct pedestrian or vehicle traffic.
- Camping would create a noise nuisance.
- The ground conditions are unsuitable for camping or camping will damage the area.
- Camping is not allowed at that site.