Home Energy Scheme

We are offering ratepayers an alternative way to fund the installation of home energy products and insulation in their home.

As a ratepayer you may be eligible to apply for up to $5,000 (including GST) to support the installation of a clean energy / heat product or solar water heating or up to $2,600 (including GST) for the installation of insulation.

The monies are paid back through your rates (via a Voluntary Targeted Rate (VTR)), with interest over a nine year period. The table below gives you an idea of how much you would pay back depending on what level of additional rate you incur. The increase in your rates will commence at the start of the new rating year (from 1 July).

Financial Assistance $5,000 $2,600 $2,000 $1,000
Cost per rate payment (monthly) $63.95 $34.42 $26.48 $13.24
Per annum cost $767.44 $413.03 $317.72 $158.86
Nine year total $6,906.98 $3,717.27 $2,859.48 $1,429.74

* Note 1: The figures are indicative only.
* Note 2: The interest rate will be set at 7 per cent for this first year. Thereafter it is subject to change. You will be notified of any change.

Eligible products and services

A Voluntary Targeted Rate (VTR) may be available for a range of services and products. You can find out more information from both EECA and Smarter Homes.

We will only provide funding support via a VTR (i.e. paid via your rates) for the following:


To be eligible for the scheme you must:

  1. Be the ratepayer for the home.
  2. Be up to date with the rates (no arrears).
  3. Have a home built before 2000 (for insulation).
  4. Have an insulated property if you want assistance with clean heat products, solar water heating or heat pump water heating.

Please note, you can only apply for assistance for ONE product. (i.e. insulation or a clean heat product or solar water heating or heat pump water heating.)

How to apply

First, get in touch with a service provider.

An installer will assess your home free of charge and provide options to fit insulation, clean energy and heating products. (You may wish to get more than one quote.)

They will outline the funding options available to you through EECA, our Home Energy Scheme (payment via a VTR) or other funding options such as your bank.

If you select our VTR payment scheme you will need to complete the application form, sign an agreement and provide any additional information that is required (e.g. quotes, product specification, fees etc).

Your service provider is required to register with us prior to them undertaking the work. Please check they have done so before submitting your application.

EECA funding

To find out what funding may be available from EECA, ask a service provider, visit the EECA website www.energywise.govt.nz/funding-and-programmes or phone 0800 749 782.

Bank funding

You may wish to speak with your bank about providing finance for your home energy installation. Many banks already waive the administration and loan set-up fee for the installation of home energy solutions. They may be a more affordable option.

Contact your bank for more information or visit www.energywise.govt.nz/content/help-your-bank

What happens next

  1. If you choose to apply for financial assistance via our Home Energy Scheme, complete the application form, sign the agreement and send it to us. The application form must also include the service provider’s quote, the product specification (not required for insulation) and the $200 administration fee.
  2. If your rates are up to date and you meet all other eligibility criteria, we will approve your application and confirm the amount that will be added to your rates.
  3. For solar heating, you are required to apply for a building consent
  4. You can now advise your service provider that the works can be undertaken.
  5. Proof of the completion of works will be required from the service provider. In the case of the installation of clean heat products, solar and heat pump water heating, and other installations which require electrical works the installations must be undertaken by a registered electrician.
  6. Following the installation of solar hot water, there may be an inspection from us as part of the building consent process.
  7. When your installation is completed the service provider invoices EECA (where an EECA grant is available) and us. We will both pay our agreed contributions to the service provider. You will be responsible for the payment of any outstanding amount to the service provider.
  8. We will add your additional rating increase to your property’s Land Information Memorandum (LIM).

Applications will be processed within 10 working days.

Further information

For more information please contact us on 06-759 6060, or pop in to the Civic Centre or one of our Library and Service Centres.

General information about improving the warmth and energy efficiency of your home can be found at www.energywise.govt.nz and www.smarterhomes.org.nz. 

AccessibilityHomeContact UsA to ZBusinessCouncilCouncil DocumentsResidentsHave Your Say