We have been working on concept designs for improving Devon Street West (SH45) between Belt Road and Belair Avenue for cycling, walking, and safety at intersections, and want your feedback on the revised designs.
Status: Feedback closes 5pm Friday 15 September
We completed key stakeholder consultation on the design and made some amendments based on community feedback received in September 2015.
The length of Devon Street West / South Road (SH45) is a significant urban arterial state highway and links the CBD to the western suburbs and Oakura. The road also serves Devon Intermediate School, West End School, St Josephs Primary School, private residences, commercial enterprise, and provides an access (via Lorna Street) to Taranaki Base Hospital.
As a transportation route there have been safety issues identified with cycle lanes being shared with parking spaces, too narrow footpaths and safety issues at intersections for all traffic. The proposed design allows for continuous cycle lanes, inset car parking where there is a demonstrated demand for it and wider footpath widths.
The proposed improvements include:
- A continuous cycle lane along each side of Devon Street West, from Belt Road to Belair Avenue
- Parking will be predominantly on one side of the road (north side) with inset parking provided as required/practical.
- New right turn bays provided at the intersections with Calvert Road and Doone Street.
- Relocation of the pedestrian crossing near Belt Road West by approx 10m.
- Inset bus stops to reduce conflict with cycle lanes.
- Widening footpaths along the route where practicable.
- Raised crossing facilities for pedestrians on side roads.
- Revised road markings to enable the above changes.
Subject to the review of feedback it is expected that construction will be broken in two sections, Belt Road to Lawry Street early-mid 2018, and Lawry Street to Belair Avenue late 2018/early 2019.